It was long, weary winter and a very wet Spring so far. We’re hoping all those April showers are resulting in some gorgeous May flowers with more blue skies and warmer days ahead. We’ll be at the annual City of Burnaby Rhodofest on Sunday with information about invasive species, nest boxes and our activities at Burnaby Lake Regional Park. The forecast is for a sunny warm day – See you there!
Click on the link below for more details:
Burnaby Rhodofest 2017
Today is Bird Impact Reduction Day. It is important to bring attention to this now as the birds are very active. Our friends at the Wildlife Rescue Association of BC are tending to a steady influx of birds from window strikes (over 500 in 2016). They range from temporary shock to broken wings and keels (breast bones).
From Bird Studies Canada’s site, here it what to do if you find a bird that had impacted a window and is stunned or injured:
- Gently place the bird in a paper bag or small cardboard box with air holes
- Roll clean tissues or paper towels into a donut shape and place around the bird
- Never feed the bird or give it water
- Place in a quiet, dark, secure area
- After an hour, take the box or bag to an area away from other buildings and windows, and release the bird
- If the bird is unable to fly off or if there are visible signs of injury, contact Wildlife Rescue Association of BC at 5216 Glencarin Drive, Burnaby, (604) 526-7275.
* Although handling birds poses very little risk to human health, wearing gloves is recommended.
To see what you can do around your home. there are many techniques available, from window treatments to the placement of feeders, that you can use to reduce the potential for bird collisions at your home, Click below for the latest brochure to make your Home Safe for Birds.
FLAP Home Safe For Birds
Mark your calendars!
For those of you who like to plan ahead, we’ve got the dates and locations for our spring and summer stewardship activities in Burnaby Lake Regional Park.
Please check back here, our Facebook page or on Twitter closer to the date to confirm event details. You can also complete our Volunteer request form or send an email to our Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com to be added to the email list to receive updates.
Check our Directions page to see how to get to meeting locations. Hope to see you there!