Our lake community partner, the Burnaby Lake Rowing Club, will be hosting their annual Midsummer Regatta at the Pavilion.
It’s a great chance to get close to competitive rowing (the club has produced several Olympic team members) on a course that is considered to be one of the best in North America.
The BLPA will be on hand to help manage the recycling/composting and for part of the day, we will have an information display about the wildlife at the lake, water invasive species, the association and our activities.
As a member of Rowing British Columbia and Rowing Canada (RCA), the BLRC is governed by the World Rowing Federation, FISA (from the French, Fédération Internationale des Sociétés d’Aviron). It is the governing body of the sport of rowing. empowered by its 148 member National Rowing Federations, the National Olympic Committees and the International Olympic Committee to govern the sport of rowing. including developing a World Rowing Environmental Policy:
- 1.1. FISA is committed to promoting practices within the sport of rowing which are environmentally sustainable and setting new standards in sustainable sports event management.
- 1.2. Environmental sustainability in rowing includes social, cultural, economic and ecological responsibility which fulfils present needs while allowing future generations to meet their needs.
2.0. PRINCIPLES FOR ENVIRONMENTAL SUSTAINABILITY
In implementing this policy FISA will be guided by the following principles:
- Protection of the habitat of fauna and flora and bio-diversity;
- Conservation of resources both renewable and non-renewable;
- Reduction of waste and pollutants in all their forms;
- Recognition of the importance of heritage and indigenous cultural values;
- Promotion of healthy conditions for athletes, officials, volunteers and spectators in which to conduct the sport of rowing;
- Fostering environmental awareness and education about sustainable development and clean water within the international rowing community; and,
- Consulting the wider community to foster positive partnerships.
The Burnaby Lake Park Association is proud to be one of BLRC’s community partners in meeting the standards of this policy..